Having felt the benefit of using a coach first-hand, I am convinced it is the most effective way of improving performance.
Originally born in York, UK, I moved around the country for many years before coming back home. I now have the privilege of living and working in a pretty village just West of the city on the road to Harrogate.
From here I have great views across the beautiful North Yorkshire countryside where I literally 'head for the (Howardian) hills' come the weekend.
I am a member of Clifton Cycling Club based in York. As part of the club coaching team, I coach the young riders in CX skills and road-racing.
I take an evidence-based approach to my work, ensuring that I only advise clients to do those things that have been proven to work consistently, not just the latest trend. As a TrainingPeaks accredited coach I use the latest data analysis software, WKO5 to inform my coaching decisions.
Coaching though is not all about training plans and data analysis. As British Cycling puts it in their article on the Benefits of Using a British Cycling Level 3 Coach, it is about having a 'critical friend'.
Events and Racing
I do think it essential that a cycling coach is also a passionate and committed cyclist. Only then can they fully appreciate the demands of pushing performance either through racing or challenge events.
Since a junior I have competed in most forms of bike racing: from Road Racing, Time Trialling and Cyclocross to Triathlon and Duathlon.
I also ride sportives and special events that appeal to me, with friends or with clients such as: RideLondon, Ronde Von Calderdale and the Three Peaks Cyclocross race.
- British Cycling Level 3 Coach (Road & Time Trial)
- British Cycling Level 2 Cyclo-cross
- British Cycling Power, Understanding Cycling Performance
- British Cycling Using rollers in your coaching
- British Triathlon Level 1 coach
- TrainingPeaks Certified Coach
- First Aid certificate
Bike fitting qualifications
- Open University: Supporting female performance in sport and fitness
- TrainingPeaks Strength Training for Cycling Success (S&C)
- Level 2 Award in Coaching Strength and Conditioning for Sport [ongoing]